Significant figures Calculator
Significant figures: 0
Significant Figures or Digits
The number of digits that are meaningful: they have an accuracy matching our measurements, or are simply all we need.
A significant figure is a figure or a digit that contributes to how accurately something can be measured. For example, a standard meter stick with centimeters as the smallest division can be used to accurately measure to a tenth of the smallest unit, which is a millimeter.
There are certain rules which need to be followed to measure the significant figures of a calculated measurement.
Listed below are the basics of the law:
- All non zero digits are significant
- Zeroes between non zero digits are significant
- A trailing zero or final zero in the decimal portion only are significant.
Significant Figures Examples
The numbers in boldface are the significant figures.
- 5408 – 4 significant figures
- 50.06 – 4 significant figures
- 580,000 – 2 significant figures
- 5.00 – 3 significant figures